Saturday, July 5, 2014

Elsa Dress - McCall's MP381/Kid

I read a while back that McCall's had capitalized on the Frozen craze and released a pattern to make both the Anna and the Elsa dress. I found the pattern and mistakenly promised my nieces to make them an Elsa dress. I finished one and won't be making another one any time soon, so they can fight over the one.

Front and back of the dress
But if I were to make it again, I would use french seams instead of doublestitching to better secure the seams (the fabrics are fiddly and fray quite easily) and for a cleaner finish. The zipper would have to be shortened as well. It's all well and good that the upper portion is covered for the most part by the lining, but the longer edge that extends into the back can't be all the comfortable for the wearer.

Inside of the dress.

All in all, the first dress is a wearable muslin, and although there were a lot of pieces, the dress was easy to put together. It just takes a lot of time. Hence just this one for now.

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Quilt: Curio by Basic Grey

Continuing the year-long process of using up what I have, I made the following quilt using the quilt blocks as found in The Farmer's Wife. The blocks were made almost a year ago and then languished in the pile of other forlorn orphan blocks.

Finally, the simplest layout was sashed blocks. The sashing is a poplin from Lisette for Joann and is a fun and more visually interesting departure from my typical white fabric sashing.

I ran out of sashing fabric and so improvised a bit of turquoise blue to finish the quilt. A happy necessity. It lends some interest, I think, to the overall design.

The back is white minky.

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Quilt: Strawberry Fields Garden Quilt

This quilt was started in 2012,

completed mid-2013,

and finally delivered to a very dear friend in 2014 as a birthday gift.

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Quilt: Verna on Point

I haven't completely given up making things, but the production time now is much longer. Case in point, the quilt below using Verna from Kate Spain took about a year from start to finish.

It took me a long time to make all those half-square triangles. And then even longer to figure out the layout and then sew all those rows together. At first, I was marking each square with safety pins to make sure that I kept the squares in the right order as I was sewing, but that quickly became untenable. A "why didn't I think of that earlier" solution was to number the squares using one of those quilt marking pens. No pins and as simple as writing 1, 2, 3.

Then, even more time to add the white sashing.

I could see the end, so the basting and quilting came together much more quickly than the piecing. Straight lines at angles to the squares.

The backing was yardage from Denyse Schmidt from Joann. Perfect complement to the colors in front. The quilt was finished in time for a Christmas gift even though originally I had intended to gift it in May.

Friday, January 10, 2014

Fabric Destash

New year = fabric destash. I started the process last year by trying to get rid of books no longer needed. Now I've moved on to fabric. The new store is Time2Destash on etsy. So if you're in the market for fabric in pristine condition that was bought with grand ideas in mind, then take a gander at what's for sale. You just might find something for your next project or wish list.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...