Saturday, May 11, 2013

Los Angeles County Lifeguard Quilt

A while ago, my cousin gave me a bunch of clothing that was worn out from his lifeguard work and asked me to make some things for him. I made a couple of pillow covers and had in mind to make a quilt.


The quilt only took a couple of years to be made. In the end, I went for a very simple design. The red is fleece and the white is knit. The problem that I did not anticipate is the different drying time for the two materials. The fleece dries lickety split, not so the knit. The backing is a white dimpled minky - the quilt is definitely not for summer use; it's heavy - and so dries as quickly as the fleece. So either the quilt has to be blasted so that the knit can dry in the dryer or it needs to be taken out with the knit still quite damp. Lesson learned about mixing materials.


With some careful cutting, I was able to salvage some of the patches. Everything is sewn with a half-inch seam allowance and then secured with a zig-zag stitch.


The quilt is a decent size finishing at around 80" x 56".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...