Saturday, January 26, 2013

Little Swoon Stars ( 2 quilts)

The two oversized swoon blocks are now two baby quilts. Each one is about 40" square and quilted with diagonal lines.


I think that the pattern would make a great baby boy quilt if using a more gender neutral or boyish fabric designs.


I like the addition of the half-inch strip in the middle of the white and how it helps define the star. Spray starch was a great help in keeping the narrow strip flat and stable for piecing.

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Whimsical Quilt Garden => Place Mats

These place mats used to be two lonely quilt blocks that I assembled in spring 2011. They were pinned on my design wall until they became just part of the room and I didn't see them anymore. Then I accepted that I wasn't going to make any more blocks to make a quilt and thought that I could turn them into something more functional. So I took them down, probably in early 2012, picked some backing fabric and then let them gather some more dust.

Finally, in a fit of clearing out some unfinished projects I turned them into mini quilts/place mats/whatever over the Christmas break.

gifted to niece 1
gifted to niece 2

The nieces are happy; I'm happy. Wins all around.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Paper Pieced Starburst

Why stop at one paper piecing project when I can be frustrated with more? After finishing the lily hot pads, I wanted to try putting together another pattern that had been on my to do list: a star flower pillow.

possible layout with some black sashing perhaps...


Not having learned as much as I thought from working on the lilies, putting together the star flower (what I'm calling a starburst) took longer than expected, but seeing each quadrant come together was very satisfying. Each quadrant ended up taking about one hour each. I got to use some great Curio fabric by Basic Grey and now I'm entertaining the idea of making a large quilt over the course of the year.

another layout possibility
I'm using a precut fabric set to make these blocks so it'll be interesting to see how the quilt takes shape should I end up pursuing the idea. For each quadrant: the background uses two 10" squares, the white stripes 3-2" x 10" strips, and the 12 wedges a total of three 10" squares.

happy accident of strip placement

Or more likely the blocks will languish in some corner until I get so tired of seeing them that I turn them into something else. Maybe some more hot pads.

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Paper Pieced Lily Hot Pad

While wasting time one evening, I visited the web site for Art Gallery fabrics and saw this project to make a paper pieced lily. The PDF pattern is slightly different from the finished project shown in that the leaves on the reference sheet (page 2) have the leaves in pieces, but the pattern pieces are one whole. A small error in the pattern is that piece f should be a mirror image of piece e. If you piece as shown on the pattern, then both leaves are facing one direction rather than facing each other.

Who needs sleep? I was instantly interested in trying out the pattern; it seemed a quick and relatively painless quilt block that could be replicated en masse to make a small quilt. Turns out that paper piecing takes a lot longer than strip quilting and wastes lots more fabric too, but I was too into the project to give up.

Through trial and error and after way more time than expected, I ended up making and stopping at two: one blue and one yellow.



To make these experiments useful rather than just exercises in frustration, I made them into hot pads: quilted pieced top, insulbright (shiny side up), batting, and backing fabric. After some dense straight line quilting to squish the whole thing flat, I used some leftover 2" strips to make the binding and slipstitched it on.

As the pattern said, each hot pad is roughly 8" x 10", which is a decent size for the average pot in my mother's kitchen.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...