Saturday, November 3, 2012

Field Study hourglass quilt - in progress

I visited a new to me quilt store The Sewing Party in Laguna Hills. A bit of a drive, but what a fun store with amazing products. I ended up buying some fat quarters of Kaffe Fasset shot cottons and a charm pack of Anna Maria Horner's new line, Field Study. Now I understand the fascination with shot cottons. They're gorgeous, have a sheen, and amazing texture.


The fabric is actually woven with two different colored threads, so in the case of the fabric above, a turquoise thread is woven with a pink thread, like so


So cool. The fabric behind it has threads of purple and red. And, serendipitously, the random fat quarters I picked (they were so pretty; I was like a magpie picking up shiny object after shiny object), match perfectly with the Field Study fabric line.


I love that orange on top. So as not to waste any of the fabric and show it off optimally, I opted for the hourglass quilt block. I ended up making 146 hourglass blocks.


The blocks took a while to sew and then finish. I think the quilt will be the blocks set on point across rows and then a pieced border using the remaining shot cotton.



30 - 6" squares of Field Study
 +
2.5  yards of white cut into 6" squares
 +
15 coordinating fat quarters to cut 43 - 6" squares
 =
146 - 5" hourglass blocks

Some great tutorials re: making hourglass blocks the easy way:

This is how I make mine: Diary of a Quilter
Another option: Red Pepper Quilts
And a video: Missouri Quilt Company 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...