Monday, December 26, 2011

Memory quilt

I made this quilt for my dad; it was supposed to be his birthday gift, but ended up being his Christmas gift.


Each square means something and references a life experience. In some cases, the fabrics are souvenirs of those experiences that I had held onto and were just waiting for the right moment to reappear. Like the blue batik (bottom row, middle square) that is from a shirt that was bought in Gambia so many years ago when my dad and my youngest brother were there. Or the screen print of the woman (top row, farthest left) that was bought when I traveled to Kenya with my dad.

Figuring out all the squares took some time, much longer than I thought it would, and a lot of searching for just the right fabric.

Here's a close up of one of the sections. The princess square is a scan of an actual drawing that my niece did and transferred to fabric. That was fun to figure out. The quilt finished huge - about 79" square.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...