Saturday, October 22, 2011

Leftovers

The upside and downside to sewing things is all the leftovers that quickly multiply and overflow. In an "aha" moment, I used two leftover blocks to make one long-overdue and much-needed pin cushion. Total sewing time 5 minutes; total procrastination time 4 years. No more stumbling upon needles in random places.


And I used the bits and pieces of flower parts that didn't make the cut into the Fanciful Flowers quilt for four mismatched, but colorful, place mats.


Rather than appliquing the flower by hand, I fused the shapes onto the background fabric and blanket stitched all around and finished with all over stippling. The stems were an easy fix, too. I cut double-sided fusible interfacing into thin strips and ironed the ribbon onto the fabric and then used a fancy stitch on my sewing machine to secure the ribbon in place.


Friday, October 14, 2011

Finished!! Fanciful Flowers quilt is done

After one year, it's finally finished. Bound in understated grey and waiting to be washed.

The quilt only took one year to make, three sewing machines, countless broken needles, and oodles and oodles of thread.

And the back is a fun riot of colors. Happy dance.

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Slow, but steady

Slow, but steady progress on the Sherbet Pips quilt.

25 chain units...

24 star blocks...
and 1 mistake...
aargh!

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Working on a new quilt

I really like the Sherbet Pips and Little Apples line from Moda, but had difficulty choosing a pattern that worked with the fabric. Finally I settled on something very simple - an Irish chain pattern with star blocks.

The fabric line has these great little drawings and fussy cutting them into small blocks seemed to be the best way to showcase the cuteness.

The blocks finish at 12" square and I'm almost done making 25 of the X blocks.

On to the star blocks.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...