Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Simple lunch tote

In initially thinking about making a gift bag, I was going to design one from scratch, but then I got smarter. Several bloggers have shown how they use a pre-existing bag to make a template. Bingo.

I cut up a small paper bag that I've used over and over again because it is the perfect size to hold lunch or other small things. Then I laid it directly onto canvas and traced the size, adding a half-inch seam allowance on all sides. To the top and bottom I added a 1.5" seam allowance.


After some fiddling, measuring and back of the envelope math, I figured out that I could cut up a fat quarter into two pieces measuring 10.75" x 11" to make the exterior. The result is a perfect-sized tote bag to hold lunch or other essentials. And the canvas is nice because it lends some the bag some rigidity.

The seal gives a sense of scale.
The bag finishes 7" x 8.25" x 3".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...