Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Linen patchwork tote with leather handles

The local public library carries a fantastic collection of sewing books, including the latest titles. So for the past few months I have been exposed to and absorbed the Japanese crafting aesthetic of linen and patchwork. I finally got around to making my version of a linen patchwork tote and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

There are a lot of things that I like about this bag: the patchwork uses up scraps from a previous quilting project so there is minimal waste. This also means that each side is unique and every bag will always be one of a kind. The leather handles are simple, but add to the overall design of intentional minimalism. The single rivets are also a fun design element. The bag itself is wonderfully slouchy, but still sturdy enough to hold some serious weight.

same bag, other side
The bag is lined with some heavier weight cotton than the traditional quilting cotton and finished with a magnetic snap and finished so that it could theoretically be turned inside out.

I see many more bags like this in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...