Saturday, August 27, 2011

Getting organized

Some people get inspired while in the shower; I get mine while idling in traffic. Ever since I started sewing and quilting, I have collected a lot of tools to install snaps, grommets, eyelets, etc. and those things have been sitting haphazardly in a shoebox. As of today, no longer.


While at Joann, I saw a bunch of vinyl pencil cases on sale for back to school preparation and I thought that they were cute, but that was it. But on the way home, I started thinking about how nice it would be to have a more organized method to store my tools and not just organize them, but to be able to see them too.

Need for organization + extra vinyl at home + vinyl pencil case = vinyl storage envelopes (eureka!)


Now my tools sit pretty in their home and it's easier to grab what I need.

Making them was super easy. Just cut the vinyl to size and sew up the sides. For a more aesthetically pleasing look, I rounded the flap corners. Sandwiching the vinyl between tissue paper prevented the envelope from getting stuck between the feed dogs and presser foot.


The most difficult part was installing the snaps. If anyone has an easy idea for installing those fiddly snaps, I'm all ears.


PSA: The best Japanese fabric store in Southern California, Momen +, is having a massive sale on Japanese and European fabric September 1-3. We're talking Heather Ross, Alexander Henry, Anna Maria Horner, Lecien, etc. The store is in Torrance and right next to a bakery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...