Thursday, June 16, 2011

A Day at the Zoo

I had a bunch of leftover half square triangle blocks from the Radiate and Ripple quilt and wracked my brain to figure out a way to use them up. In the end I settled for pairing up the blocks to make the traditional flying geese block, but the end result was "blah" to me.

Imagine the quilt without the giraffe. A tad dull, right?

So I draped the top onto my ironing table, stared at it, and waited for inspiration to strike. At some point I remembered that a bunch of pre-made animal applique shapes were taking up space in one of my boxes of stuff. The giraffe makes the quilt sing, I think.

The finished quilt is 36" x 40" and the batting is a higher loft polyester than the normal thin cotton batting I use, but the end result is comfortably poofy and snuggly quilt. I like it.


 To me, the colors and giraffe remind me of an idyllic day at the zoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...