Sunday, January 15, 2017

Make Your Own Sewing Weights


Finally expanding my repertoire to also include sewing clothes has meant learning a whole new set of skills, terminology, and tools. Totally fun. And then seeing online how other sewists use weights instead of pins has made me want to get sewing weights for a while, but they just seemed too expensive or cumbersome.

But then, a recent post about a Greedy Gift Grab on the super inspirational and fun blog, Communing with Fabric, contained a quick explanation about how to create sewing weights using washers. A quick online search shows that the idea and technique are not new, but still new to me.

Thus, off to the local hardware store to pick up a set of washers. Then with some E6000, loads of 3/4" ribbon, Thread End Glue, and Fabri-Tac, a fun set of sewing weights in not much actual hands-on time. (Although I do have a sore thumb pad from holding on to the washer while pulling the ribbon tightly with the other hand.)






For this ribbon and how I wrapped them, 49" of ribbon turned out to be the perfect length. Sometimes there was some extra ribbon leftover depending on the tension, but I was never short.


These weights will make working with silk and other slipper fabrics so much easier than using pins. Not to mention less chance of accidental pokes.

Monday, December 26, 2016

Boston Terrier Pouch

Front

Back

  • Finished dimensions: 8.25" x 11.25" although actual usable space is less because of the binding used to finish the zipper pouch
  • Pattern is Block #1 from Sew Fresh Quilts (Dog Gone Cute Quilt Along)
  • Made from scraps
  • Made as a gift for a dog lover
  • Had trouble figuring out the construction to cleanly finish the pouch because of the quilted front panel. Compromised by using a ribbon to finish the top before adding the zipper and then finishing the edges like a quilt by binding it with a double-fold binding made from the same fabric used for the background.
  • Finished on the inside with a turquoise flannel
  • Took a couple of hours from start to finish

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Elsa Dress - McCall's MP381/Kid

I read a while back that McCall's had capitalized on the Frozen craze and released a pattern to make both the Anna and the Elsa dress. I found the pattern and mistakenly promised my nieces to make them an Elsa dress. I finished one and won't be making another one any time soon, so they can fight over the one.

Front and back of the dress
But if I were to make it again, I would use french seams instead of doublestitching to better secure the seams (the fabrics are fiddly and fray quite easily) and for a cleaner finish. The zipper would have to be shortened as well. It's all well and good that the upper portion is covered for the most part by the lining, but the longer edge that extends into the back can't be all the comfortable for the wearer.

Inside of the dress.

All in all, the first dress is a wearable muslin, and although there were a lot of pieces, the dress was easy to put together. It just takes a lot of time. Hence just this one for now.

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Quilt: Curio by Basic Grey

Continuing the year-long process of using up what I have, I made the following quilt using the quilt blocks as found in The Farmer's Wife. The blocks were made almost a year ago and then languished in the pile of other forlorn orphan blocks.


Finally, the simplest layout was sashed blocks. The sashing is a poplin from Lisette for Joann and is a fun and more visually interesting departure from my typical white fabric sashing.

I ran out of sashing fabric and so improvised a bit of turquoise blue to finish the quilt. A happy necessity. It lends some interest, I think, to the overall design.

The back is white minky.

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Quilt: Strawberry Fields Garden Quilt

This quilt was started in 2012,



completed mid-2013,



and finally delivered to a very dear friend in 2014 as a birthday gift.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...